5 Ways to Make the Most of your Medical Benefits
1. Use Preferred Hospitals
When your doctor indicates a procedure such as a surgery or MRI is needed, save money by making sure you are referred to a facility that is Preferred. Check out the Preferred Hospital List or call Health Advocacy for verification. Procedures at Preferred Hospitals are covered at 90% after the deductible. Going to a facility that is not on the preferred list is covered at either 30% or 50% depending on the plan you are enrolled in. Check out this video to learn more.
2. Learn what the medical plan covers
Know before you go. These charts can tell you whether a co-pay or the co-insurance and deductible will apply.
3. Call Health Advocacy for help
When in doubt, call a Health Advocate.
- Ready to make a change in your health but you are not sure how to get started – call a Health Advocate.
- Not sure if you should see a doctor immediately or if it can wait until tomorrow – call a Health Advocate.
- Not sure about the side effects of a medication – call a Health Advocate.
Health Advocates are training individuals available 24/7 to help you. Call them at 1-877-MyTHRLink (1-877-698-4754) prompt 2. You can also chat online with a nurse if you prefer at www.MyUHC.com.
4. Check your bills
Sometimes claims are not processed correctly due to the order in which they were received from the provider’s office. If you think there may have been an error, review your EOB on www.MyUHC.com and also call UHC for verification at 1-877-MyTHRLink (1-877-698-4754), prompt 1.
5. Get support from a Total Health Nurse
If you or an enrolled dependent are living with a complex or chronic health condition, you can have support from a Texas Health Nurse. You can meet with your nurse in person or by phone, and he or she can even attend doctor appointments with you to make sure all your questions are answered. Your nurse is here to help you:
- Follow your doctor’s treatment plan
- Manage medications
- Get answers to your questions
- Coordinate your health care appointments
- Learn tips for self-care
- Access resources or programs that you need
- Navigate the health care system
Call 1-877-MyTHRLink (1-877-698-4754), prompt 2 to request assistance from a Total Health Nurse.