PAID PARENTAL LEAVE
Texas Health offers a Paid Parental Leave benefit that allows up to 3 weeks of paid leave a year. This paid leave benefit is for eligible employees to bond with a newborn child or a placed child under 18 years of age.
Having a baby? Checkout this guide.
To be eligible for Paid Parental Leave, on or after January 1, 2021 you must be:
- a benefits eligible employee and
- have also been employed with Texas Health for 6 continuous months as of the birth, adoption or placement date and
- have not taken parental leave within the prior 12 months and
- be on an approved leave of absence due to giving birth to a child(ren), or became a parent, due to birth or placement of a child on or after January 1, 2021
*A “parent” includes the mother, father, biological parents, or parents as a result of placement of a child through surrogacy, adoption or placement for foster care or receipt of guardianship or non-parent managing conservator.
You are eligible for up to 3 weeks of paid leave a year. The time is used within 6 months of the birth, adoption or the date of placement of the child. Paid Parental Leave must be used in no less than one week increments at a time.
HOW TO REQUEST
You will need to notify your supervisor at least 30 days prior to the start of Parental Leave and go to MyTHR.org to request your leave of absence during which you will tell us that you would like to use Paid Parental Leave. Steps on how to request a leave can be found here.
DOCUMENTATION IS REQUIRED
Texas Health requires supporting documentation of a birth or placement of a child through surrogacy, adoption or foster care before Parental Leave can be approved and paid. This information must be provided to the Integrated Disability Department (IDM) before Paid Parental Leave can be approved. Please contact IDM if you have any questions. You can reach IDM by email at THRIntegratedDisabilityManagement@texashealth.org or by phone at 682-236-7278.
- Leave of Absence Overview
- Requesting a Leave of Absence
- Compensation and Benefits While on Leave
- Parental Leave FAQs
- Benefits Support
- Speak with a member of Texas Health’s Benefit Support team by calling 1-877-MyTHRLink (1-877-698-4754) prompt 9
- Email: THRBenefitsSupport@texashealth.org.