10 Ways to Achieve Balance
Life can be a juggling act. Work, family and personal needs compete for your time and attention, but a sense of balance can help you create a rich and varied life. Here are some ways to help you achieve balance:
- Spend time with your children. Strengthen your children’s self-esteem and build a positive relationship that will last a lifetime by spending as much time with them as you can.
- Make meal times special. Eat dinner together as a family several times a week. Make the dinner table a place for family members to share news and excitement. Serve healthy meals that everyone enjoys.
- Hold family meetings. Use regular meetings to assign household chores and to discuss goals, problems and family events.
- Have fun with your family. Plan fun family activities. Exercise together; go on bike rides, hikes or day trips to relaxing places. Join fundraising walks and fun runs.
- Plan, prioritize and organize your work life. Make long and short range plans for individual projects. Prioritize each day’s tasks, listing the most important jobs first. Set a deadline for each task so you can complete the project on time.
- Use your lunch hour. Write a letter, pick up some groceries or make personal phone calls. Schedule a doctor appointment, read a book or think of ways to improve your work-family balance while you rest.
- Sharpen your communication skills. You’ll have fewer problems at work – and at home – if you can express yourself clearly and understand others. Talk with your supervisor if you’re having any problems at work.
- Build regular exercise into your routine. Join a health center or explore other options for regular exercise. Put on the calendar the time you’ve committed to exercise. Make “exercise dates” with a friend to help build commitment and fun into your workout.
- Take mini-vacations. A day trip to the country or a recreational area can add variety and relaxation to your life at little or no cost.
- Get involved in your community. Coach your child’s soccer team. Give a crafts demonstration for the local scouting group. Volunteer for a special project at your place of worship.
If home or work is overwhelming, maybe talking to someone can help. Contact the EAP today to speak confidentially to a counselor at no cost to you. Call 1-877-MyTHRLink (1-877-698-4754) prompt 4, then 4.