In 2014, there were 190 employee injuries while moving or lifting a patient. Each time you move a patient manually, you put yourself at risk for an injury. Texas Health provides lift equipment and devices you can use to greatly reduce injuries to yourself and patients.
3 Easy Steps to Safely Move Patients
- Evaluate the mobility of the patient
- Identify and use the proper patient handling equipment or device
- Explain the equipment and procedure to the patient
Additional Safe Patient Handling Resources
- In 2007, the team at Harris 6 at Texas Health Fort Worth became a “No Lift” unit. Watch this video to learn what a “No Lift” floor is and how you can take these best practices back to your department.
- Find out more about the most common types of safe patient handling equipment and devices that may be available to you.
- Moving you Safely Poster
- Safe Patient Handing- Lift Team Poster
- Don’t Be Superman-Safe Patient Handling Poster
- Download Talking Safety: Assisting Patients Safely to use for your department’s safety huddle.