Health Savings Account (HSA)
*For the 2022 plan year, this benefit requires enrollment in the Texas Health Aetna Select Plan 3000 or UnitedHealthcare Choice 1500 option*
*For the 2023 plan year, this benefit requires enrollment in the UnitedHealthcare Choice 2500 option*
A Health Savings Account (HSA) is a savings account for your healthcare expenses. It’s a tax-free way to save for future healthcare expenses. An HSA can help you save on taxes in three ways:
- The money you contribute into the account is tax free
- You can invest the money in your HSA and the interest accrued is tax-free
- Withdrawals for qualified out-of-pocket healthcare expenses are tax-free
HealthEquity administers the Health Savings Account.
Who is eligible to enroll in an HSA?
In order to enroll in a Health Savings Account, you must enroll in a High Deductible Health Plan. Additional eligibility rules can be found here.
How much can be contributed
- Employees who enroll in a high deductible health plan option with employee only coverage can contribute up to $3,650 ($3,850 in 2023) to a Health Savings Account. Divide the annual amount you plan on contributing by the remaining pay periods in the year to get your per-pay-period contribution to your Health Savings Account.
- The account will come with $19.23 put in for you per pay period.
- Employees who enroll in a high deductible health plan option with employee + family* coverage can contribute up to $7,300 ($7,750 in 2023) to a Health Savings Account. Divide the annual amount you plan on contributing by the remaining pay periods in the year to get your per-pay-period contribution to your Health Savings Account.
- The account will come with $38.46 put in for you per pay period.
*For the purposes of a Health Savings Account, employee + family coverage is the equivalent of the following overages: employee + spouse, employee + children or employee + family.
If you are 55 or older, you may contribute an extra $1,000.
Enrolling in a Health Savings Account
When you enroll in a Health Savings Account via Texas Health Resources, your Health Savings Account will automatically be opened through HealthEquity.
In order for the Health Savings Account to be opened, HealthEquity is required to verify your information, including: Social Security Number, name, date of birth and physical address (cannot be a PO Box). Texas Health Resources will automatically provide this information based on the information in the HR/Payroll system. If HealthEquity is unable to verify the identifying information, HealthEquity will contact you to request additional information to satisfy the identification requirement.
Upon enrollment in the Health Savings Account, you will agree to the terms and conditions.
Click here to find a list of expenses that you can use the funds in a Health Savings Account on.
How to Use Your Funds
For eligible expenses, you can:
- Use your HSA debit card (will be provided from HealthEquity)
- Use the HealthEquity app
- Submit reimbursement requests online, via mail, or via fax
Who do I contact with questions?
- Take a look at these Frequently Asked Questions
- HealthEquity Customer Service
- 1-877-698-4754 prompt 2, press 6
- Benefits Support
- Speak with a member of Texas Health’s Benefit Support team by calling 1-877-MyTHRLink (1-877-698-4754) prompt 9 or emailing THRBenefitsSupport@texashealth.org